Thursday 5 February 2015

Poecilia wingei - Campoma No. 45 variations

One of my favourite phenotypes from Phillip Voisin & Co.'s Campoma-collections in 2011-2012 is No. 45. A nice metallic green fish with colours in the dorsal. I have a large population in a single-type tank and have observed a few developments in there...

My original fish looked very alike:


Now, after some time a few variations have popped up:

Bodycolour variations - some are more blueish than green...

 Like my originals...

More blue...

Mesh-pattern in the caudal, like I have seen in some Blue Stars as well...

Longer swords...

It is really rewarding and fun to see how a strain develops if left alone! Already there is basis for selection of future new strains if desired. However, the plan for these fish is to combine them with one or two other phenotypes to free some tanks for other purposes. This approach will probably be used for many of my fish over the next year, especially the Campomas. It is easy to make a seperate strain again, as the Campoma females seem not to carry much colour and everything works more or less like copy-paste from the chosen male.




No comments:

Post a Comment